vendredi 24 août 2012

LOOKING AT LA COTE SAUVAGE, THE WILD COAST OF QUIBERON AND THINKING OF MY INDONESIAN FRIENDS


LOOKING AT LA COTE SAUVAGE, THE WILD COAST OF QUIBERON AND THINKING OF INDONESIA
Ever since leaving my friends, Pak Joe and his staff at Bogor, I have been faithfully walking every morning.
As instructed by Pak Joe, I have begun with brisk walking; slowly hope to advance through the coming months.
Quiberon is almost an island, connected by a sandy isthmus to the mainland Brittany. It has a wild coast to it, and those who understand marine history should know that the great sailors they have been, The Bretons, had suffered and lost many souls along the wild coast, La Cote Sauvage, with its huge swells and lashing waves and vertiginous rocks. It is a beautiful site to behold. There are not many tourists outside the June/July/August holiday season in France, it seems that the foreigners have not quite discovered this beautiful spot. For reasons of budget and exoticism, the budget traveller heads to Ko Samui or Sihanoukville, and in Quiberon you very seldom see a backpacker.

This is a beautiful spot and after arriving here on the 15th, on a short flight from London City to Quimper, I have gone walking along the wild coast each and every day. First thing in the morning, on waking up, I don my walking shoes and go for a brisk walk, with the sea wind powerfully caressing and the smell of the sea and the distant Belle Isle swaying in your vision. There is a sculpture of a Fish and a poem by Pablo Neruda engraved on the stone …somos pobres Pescadores.. He implores.
I have been able to walk between 5 and 8 km each morning, and just after one week, I began to feel a strengthening of my body, and I know that I am on well on my way to the 5 kg loss I promised Pak Joe before my next visit to Bogor, ojala! Soon…
My good friend in KL had said two things that remain in my memory, after her return from the Yoga Institute in Bombay, India
Without mindfulness transformation, physical transformation is not possible
When the student is ready, the teacher appears.
She introduced me to the Mind Part of the Yoga Philosophy and I realized that when I was ready for the physical part, Pak Joe appeared on Seat 1 B on that flight from Omaha to Los Angeles!
I received photos of my recent presentation to the senior managers of the Bank in Jakarta on Health and Happiness, facilitated by our good friend Pak Honggo. It brought back such sweet memories, of talking to busy executives the need for changing the way one thinks about humanity, to practise compassion and ending up with a nice lunch at Café Batavia! In the heart of the old colonial part of the city of Jakarta.


Thank you, Teremah Kaseh, Nihun to all of you…

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...