samedi 5 septembre 2015

VIKAS THE KABULIWALLA OF FORT COCHIN ELITE RESTAURANT

Vikas is a Nepali whose family lives in Darjeeling in Northern India at the foot of the Himalayas. He works long hours as a waiter at Elite Restaurant at Princess Street, the tourist hang out in Fort Cochin in Kerala India. He gets to go home once a year to visit his family. The train journey alone takes three days.
He told me about his daughter, and showed me her pictures, born in september 2009.
When I was in school, I remember reading and being touched by a short story by Rabindranath Tagore called Kabuliwala, about a trader from faraway Kabul in Afghanistan, each year, bringing goods and going home with the money he had saved . He had a daughter waiting for him at home. He befriends a Bengali family who has a daughter of same age.
It always saddens me to think of the story.
(During my stay at Fort Cochin, at Niyati Boutique Home Stay just around the corner, I drop by to say hello to the two people above. Vikas is on the left)
I was leaving Fort Cochin to go to Brussels to see LBGS who was born just one month after Vikas' daughter. I went into the resto, he was resting but soon appeared to greet me.
I pressed a note on to his palm and said to him, this is from LBGS to your daughter, and please tell your daughter that she has a sister in Brussels.
Both of us could hardly hold back our tears..
We are both the New Kabuliwallas!
A Hindu girl in Darjeeling and a Jewish girl in Bruxelles.

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...