dimanche 3 septembre 2017

A VERY BRIEF STOPOVER IN KUALA LUMPUR



It always feels good to arrive in KL, a city I have grown to like since 2008 when I met a dear friend on my flight to Siem Reap! Over the last ten years I have made innumerable journeys to and fro Kuala Lumpur. A visitor came twice from Teheran and left nothing but sweet memories and wounds that weep in nostalgia.
My brother came once so did my American Indian colleagues as well as other friends from Yakima, HoChiMinh City. Over the course of the years I have met a wonderful slate of intellectuals who later became friends, such as Ho/Kit, who once was the director of the Mahler Society of Malaysia. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of movies and provided me with his favourite 100 movies from all parts of Asia (Hollywood and Bollywood excluded). Lately he had travelled to Teheran to select Iranian movies for Malaysian audiences.




I had told them that I would prefer a simple south indian meal: roti canai and some curry and off we went to Bangsar village to one of the Banana Leaf restaurants and the time flew by as we were discussing one thing or another. I had especially brought some Cigars for him and our other mutual friend, another Prince of a Man from Patna, a star in the movie world, Abid (I am convinced that he is descended from the Persian princes of the Mogul Court)
The evening was very pleasant. When I got back to Hilton Hotel, the executive lounge at Floor 33 was still opened and I treated myself to a cup of Tea.

 The breakfasts are elaborate affairs at the HIlton Hotel Kuala Lumpur. Someone prepared a Dosai and i thought it would be a funny combination : Dosai with coconut chutney and Smoked Salmon.. but that is what I had. It was to be the first breakfast of the day as I had a Nasi Lemak with Teh Tahrek at the Malaysian Airlines Golden Lounge at the airport.


Within hours of arriving, I was back on the KLIA express to Kuala Lumpur airport to take the tortuous route (of my choosing): KL to Doha to Larnaca and from there somehow get to Nantes in France and by train and car to Quiberon on the Brittany Coast.
I didnt realize how tired I would be when I finally reached my destination: 32 hours later!

I look forward to my next visit to Kuala Lumpur but this time long enough to enjoy a nice Cohiba Robusto from Cuba.. or even a Partagas

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...